Israeli police beat Palbeers at a journalist’s funeral

Placeholder when article work is loaded

JERUSALEM – Israeli riot police pushed and beat Palbeers at the funeral of slain Al Jazeera journalist Shirin Abu Akleh on Friday, forcing them to briefly drop the casket at the start of a procession that turned out to be the largest demonstration of Palestinian nationalism in Jerusalem. A generation

Scenes of violence could add to the grief and anger in the Arab world following the death of Abu Akleh, who was killed by Israeli forces during an operation in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday. They also paint a picture of the deep sensitivities of East Jerusalem – which both Israel and the Palestinians claim and have repeatedly fueled violence.

Abu Akleh, 51, was a family name throughout the Arab world, synonymous with Al Jazeera’s coverage under Israeli rule, which dates back to the sixties and has no end. A 25-year-old veteran of the Satellite Channel, he was revered by Palestinians as a local hero.

Thousands of people, many waving Palestinian flags and chanting “Palestine! Palestine! ” Attended funerals. It is believed to be the largest Palestinian funeral in Jerusalem since the death of Faisal Husseini, a Palestinian leader and descendant of a prominent family, in 2001.

Before the burial, a large crowd gathered to take his casket from a hospital in East Jerusalem to a Catholic church in the nearby Old City. Many mourners held Palestinian flags and the crowd shouted, “We sacrifice our souls and blood for you, Shirin.”

Shortly afterwards, Israeli police pushed the mourners and entered the club. As they approached the riot police wearing helmets, they hit the palbears, causing one person to lose control of the casket when it fell to the ground. Police tore down Palestinian flags and hurled grenades to disperse the crowd.

Abu Akleh’s brother Tony said the scenes proved that Shirin’s report and honesty … had a strong effect.

Al Jazeera’s Givara Budeiri says the police crackdown is like killing Abu Akleh again. “It simply came to our notice then.

East Jerusalem, home to some of the city’s most important Jewish, Muslim, and Christian holy sites, was occupied by Israel in the 1967 Middle East war. It claims all cities as its eternal capital and connects the eastern sector in a move that is not internationally recognized.

The Palestinians claim East Jerusalem as the capital of a future independent state. Israel regularly presses for any demonstration of support for a Palestinian state. Conflicting demands in East Jerusalem have often escalated into violence, fueling an 11-day war between Israeli and Gaza militants last year and recently sparking weeks of unrest in the city’s most sensitive holy site.

Outside of prayers at the Al-Aqsa Mosque, Israel rarely allows large Palestinian gatherings in East Jerusalem and regularly closes any demonstrations in support of the Palestinian state.

Police said the hospital crowd chanted “nationalist provocation”, ignored calls to stop and hurled stones at them. “Police members were forced to work,” police said. They released a video in which a commander outside the hospital warned the crowd that police would come if they did not stop their provocations and “nationalist songs”.

Shortly before midnight, Israeli police issued a second statement claiming that they had a joint plan with the family to keep the casket in a car, but that “a mob threatened the driver of the hearing and then proceeded to carry the coffin in a car. Unplanned procession.” It said police had intervened “so that the funeral could proceed according to the family’s wishes.”

The police claim could not be immediately verified. Earlier this week, however, Abu Akleh’s brother said that the original plan was to remove the casket from the hospital to a church and after the service, it would be taken to the cemetery by road.

Al Jazeera said in a statement that the police action “violated all international rules and rights.”

“The Israeli occupying forces attacked the mourners of the late Shirin Abu Akhleh after a storm at a French hospital in Jerusalem, where they severely beat the palbears,” it said. The network added that it is committed to news coverage and will not be deterred.

White House Press Secretary Jane Sackie called the images “deeply disturbing.”

The focus should be on “marking the memory of a great journalist who lost his life,” Saki said. “We are sorry for the inconvenience. It was supposed to be a peaceful procession.”

During an event at the Rose Garden, US President Joe Biden was asked if he condemned the Israeli police action at the funeral and he replied: “I don’t know all the details, but I know it should be investigated.”

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is “deeply concerned” about the clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians gathered at St Joseph’s Hospital and the behavior of some police officers present at the scene, according to a statement from his deputy spokesman Farhan Huq.

Israeli police later took the casket in a black van, tearing down Palestinian flags from the vehicle as it approached the church.

“We will die for the survival of Palestine!” The crowd chanted slogans. “Our favorite home!”

Later, they sang the Palestinian national anthem and shouted “Palestine, Palestine!” Gives the slogan. Before burying his body in a cemetery outside Old City.

His grave was decorated with Palestinian flags and flowers. Palestinian Ambassador to the United Kingdom Hussein Jomlat and Al Jazeera bureau chief Walid al-Omari laid flowers at the tomb.

Salah Juheika, a 70-year-old Palestinian, called Abu Akleh the “daughter of Jerusalem” and said the huge crowd was a “reward” for his love of the city.

“We already miss him, but what happened in town today will not be forgotten,” he said.

Abu Akleh was a member of the small Palestinian Christian community in the Holy Land. Palestinian Christians and Muslims marched side by side in a demonstration of unity on Friday.

He was shot in the head during an Israeli military operation in the West Bank town of Jenin. But the shooting situation remains controversial.

Palestinians say he was shot dead by Israeli forces, while the Israeli military said Friday that he was killed during a shootout with Palestinian militants. It said it could not determine who was responsible for his death without ballistic analysis.

“The interim investigation concluded that it was not possible to determine the source of the fire that hit and killed the reporter,” the military said.

Israel has called for a joint investigation with the Palestinian Authority and to hand over the bullet for forensic analysis to determine who fired the deadly rounds. The PA declined, saying it would conduct its own investigation and send the findings to the International Criminal Court, which is already investigating possible Israeli war crimes.

Journalists with Abu Akleh, including one who was shot and wounded, said there were no clashes or militants in the area. All of them were wearing protective equipment that clearly identified them as journalists.

PA and Al Jazeera, which have long had strained relations with Israel, have accused Israel of deliberately killing Abu Akleh. Israel denies the allegations.

Rights groups say Israel rarely pursues an investigation into the killings of Palestinians by its security forces and in rare cases inflicts lenient punishment when it does. Abu Akleh was a well-known figure and a U.S. citizen, so the case was widely investigated.

Palestinians in the vicinity of Jenin have carried out deadly attacks in Israel in recent weeks, and Israel has launched frequent daily arrests in the area, often sparking gun battles with militants.

Israeli troops pushed Jenin again on Friday morning, sparking renewed fighting.

The Palestinian health ministry said 13 Palestinians had been injured. The Israeli military says Palestinians opened fire when they went to arrest suspected militants. A 47-year-old member of a special Israeli commando unit has been killed, police say.

Associated Press reporter Majdi Mohammed Jenin has contributed to the West Bank, Hamilton, Faris Akram in Ontario, Edith M. Lederer of the United Nations and Aya Batraoui in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.