The last Azov fighters at the Azvastal plant have ordered Mariupol to stop defending

Placeholder when article work is loaded

A leader of the far-right Azov Regiment said that orders had been issued to close the last-ditch defense of Mariupol’s group, which had been destroyed by Russian forces, and that the effort would now focus on saving lives and removing the dead. .

“Ukraine’s glory! 86 days of Mariupol’s defense,” said Denis Prokopenko, commander of the regiment, in a video posted on the Telegram.

Ukraine has ended a bloody war for Mariupol; Azvestal fighters have been evacuated

He argued that the main priority of his fighters was “treatment of civilians, wounded and killed” and suggested that most of these conditions be met, with civilians and seriously injured being evacuated and then “exchanged and delivered to the region” controlled by Ukraine. . “

“For the fallen heroes, the process is ongoing and I hope that in the near future their relatives and all of Ukraine will be able to bury their soldiers with honor,” Prokopenko said.

It is unknown at this time what he will do after leaving the post. As recently as Thursday, the deputy commander of the Azov Regiment, Svatoslav Palamar, posted a telegram video announcing in his caption that troops in Mariupol had not yet surrendered.

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu said on Friday that 1,900 Ukrainian fighters had already left the Azovstal steel plant, the last holdout of resistance in a city facing a wide and brutal blockade. Ukrainian officials said earlier this week that about 250 people had left, but did not provide further figures. The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Thursday that its team had logged into the personal details of hundreds of Ukrainian prisoners of war who had been evacuated from the plant.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.